Friday, March 9, 2007

Collecting Coins and Paper Money- a Start

Welcome to my Collecting Coins and Paper Money blog. I have been a collector since I found a 1929 Canadian Penny under the surface of Okanogan Lake at Osoyoos, when I was a child of 9. I wiggled my toes in the sand, out about chest high in the water, and found something hard. I went underwater to find it, and this strange penny came out. I was not even aware that old Canadian money looked different, and I became fascinated. I started collecting Canadian pennies, and then Canadian coins. I expanded to British Commonwealth, Proof sets, World coins, and finally into paper money. I then became very interested in Asian money, especially Chinese, and became somewhat of an expert in that field.
I did a large museum display (1080 coins, 36 cases, pictures, text, maps, and a book to go along with it (Handfuls of Cash), after cataloguing the museum's 1800 piece collection, and later catalogued another museum collection of 3000 Asian coins. I eventually became a small dealer, going to local shows and selling on eBay, and have kept expanding my interests into other fields of numismatics. I am currently becoming more interested in the South Asian and Persian areas.
I like collecting coins and paper money because it involves history, economics, calligraphy (especially in the Asian and Middle Eastern fields), metallurgy, and culture, as well as valuable items that in many cases are also pieces of art.
I hope you share my love of collecting coins and paper money. I am willing to help you as much as I can, answering questions and giving information.
I sell on eBay as coinsnpaper, where I am a sometime powerseller, selling assistant, and operate a store. I has no idea that collecting coins and paper money would bring me into all these fields.

No comments: